When it comes to maintaining a good vision and a healthy pair of eyes, nothing can substitute a healthy diet and proper nutrition and the right choice of supplements. A good and balanced diet plays a big role in reducing the tendency of several vision related problems, ensuring good eye health.
Given below is a list of necessary foods, supplements and vitamins for eye that play a major role in keeping away vision related disorders by maintaining the proper functioning of eyes and its components:
1) Vitamin A (Retinol): Most important vitamin for eye health that prevents night blindness and helps in maintaining a good vision. It is richly found in green leafy vegetables, red, orange and yellow vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, mangoes, spinach, bell peppers, eggs and cod liver oil.
2) Vitamin E (Antioxidant): Protects eye cells from damage caused by free radicals. Found in Almond oil, sunflower seeds, peanuts, peanut butter, corn oil and eggs.
3) Vitamin C: Also called Ascorbic acid, it is called the protector of eyes. Prevents eyes from ultra violet rays and diseases like Glaucoma and cataract. When taken with the right nutrients it slows down the age related damage and degeneration of lenses and retina. Rich sources of Vitamin C are citrus fruits like lemons, cantaloupes, oranges, raspberries and guava.
4) Lutein: It is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes the damage caused by sunlight and environmental factors. Helps in keeping the lens and retina healthy. Found in egg yolk, mango, avocado, yellow bell peppers and green leafy vegetables.
5) B- Vitamins: Lack of B vitamins may cause optic nerve malfunctioning and problems with the eye lens. Folic acid helps in keeping the optic nerve healthy and in good condition. Vitamin B 12 is also associated with the treatment of glaucoma and cataract. Fresh fruits and vegetables are good sources of B-vitamins.
6) Fatty Acids: Fatty acids or essential fats are a necessary part of our daily diet. They maintain the nervous system and help boost immunity. Omega 3 fatty acids are also important for proper visual development and functioning of retina. Fatty fish, walnuts, jojoba oil, mustard oil, flax seeds, soya bean are rich in essential fats.